Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Bunch of stuff

Two nights ago, I was dealt pocket aces 5 times throughout a two hour LHE 5-10 6 max session. Yup, 1-2-3-4-5 times. I only won once with them. 20% sucess rate with aces. 20 freaking percent with the preflop nuts, the odds-on 4.5 to 1 favourite. Pocket aces is the starting hand with the greatest expected value of them all. The key word here is “expected”. Never confuse expectation with guarantee or you’ll be banging your head on your desk a lot if you have a night similar to this one.

********************************

Played the WWDN last night. Never really got anything going. My chipstack was pretty much average throughout the night. Most of my money came for stealing blinds and such. I went out when I got all the money in with AK diamonds against a AK hearts and the flop came up all hearts. What are the freaking odds of that happening, 15 to 1?

********************************

Finally got to play a HU match against Veneno. Man alive is she ever aggressive. No limping in with this gal, it’s all bet-bet-bet-raise-raise-raise. There’s basically two ways to beat those aggressive players: You either check-call them all the way down if you have a medium strength hand or make ‘em pay through the nose with traps if you have a monster.

I was pretty lucky to win this one. I rivered a flush with the same card that gave her a straight. Again this is the exact scenario where Will Wonka finished me off in the HUC#3 only I ended up on the winning side. I’m looking forward to playing her again.

********************************

I just finished Phil Gordon's Little Green Book : Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em and it is quite the fine read, I must say. I ordered it through PSO so it was pretty much free. Gordon’s writing style is clear and simple. He doesn’t go crazy in-depth like Sklansky, which makes it way easier to digest. His chapter on Pot odds is the best one on that topic that I've seen yet. I wouldn’t recommend this book as an introduction to NLHE, Harrington on Hold’em will forever hold that spot IMO, but Gordon’s book should be the next one on the list.

2 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Riverrun said...

Thanks for stopping by and great blogging. 20% is awful for Aces, I run at 90% which is a bit high but I never slow play them, I would rather win a small pot rather than lose a big one. I play NL which is different as well. Keep up the great work.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Thanks for the kind words! By reading your post, one might get the impression that I know a little something about playing HU..lol

That was fun indeed. Love to play you again...

Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home