Friday, March 24, 2006

HUC #3 Round 1

Well, I pretty much surprised myself winning my two matches since Heads Up is by far the aspect of my game that needs the most work.

First match was against Ingoal, which started pretty slow. We were both limping into a lot of pots and making moves post flop. I tried to be the aggressor but it backfired on me twice in the beginning, first when his flopped Trips bested my ridiculously overbet Ace high (I’m such a donkey) and second, when my top pair happened to run into his two pair. I decided to switch gears after that and just started blasting big raises into most pots pre-flop. We go back and forth for a while and I hold a really small lead until I pretty much crippled him with two hands, one where I picked up a full house and the other when I flopped two pair. Both of these hands went to showdown, costing him lots of chips. The final hand was just bad luck for him when his 6d-5d flopped flush was crushed by my slowplayed AdKd flopped nut flush.

2nd match was against HighOnPoker and right from the start, I could tell that it would be a completely different affair. He was REALLY aggressive, raising pretty much every pot pre-flop. He bluffed me out of a big one when I flopped top pair with a really good kicker on an awful one suit board. After that, I pretty much decided to let him be the aggressor and get him when the time is right. I got my break when he raised from the small blind and I re-raised him with pocket nines, he pushed, I called and he flipped over pocket 7's. My 9's held up to give me a nice lead. After that hand, things slowed down to a crawl as we exchanged blinds or really small pots. Until this hand: I pick up 9h-10h in the small blind and raise it up. He smooth calls. Flop comes 9-10-J (I think). I underbet the pot and he quickly re-raises me, I push, he thinks for a while and finally calls with big slick. His over cards are pretty much dead, so he’s drawing to a queen for the gutshot straight. I manage to avoid those bitches and I book the win. Two really solid matches.

Next opponent is AussieDave. By reading his blogs, it seems he makes more quads in a week than I have made in my lifetime. Should be fun.

I also finally managed to get all the freaking computer at the house working so yesterday ended up being a pretty damn good one after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home