Monday, April 10, 2006

My Date with Willy

Had my HUC#3 semifinal date with Will Wonka last night and I came back with quite the sore junk. The first two matches were short little affairs. I hardly remember the details, but I think the first one ended when I flopped a pair of tens to take out his pocket pair of nine’s. The second match was also a quick little thing. Ironically, the final hand of that match was a replica of the final hand of my last match against Aussie Dave when I got all the money in with A9 against AK. No suckout for me this time though and it’s off to the rubber match.

Man alive, was this one ever long. I had him down early but he grinded his way back up. Now I was way down, but I grinded my way back up. The damn thing went 140 hands, just to give ya’ll an idea. The final hand was rough. I flopped a pair and an OESD where I called down to the river to catch the perfect card to hang myself, my straight card. He pushed all-in. The board had three spades on it. Did he have it? It was a tough spot to be in, my stack was way short and I just couldn’t see myself folding that straight. I called and he flips over the turned nut flush. I was drawing dead from the get go. That was a really tough match. Now I don’t really know much about Fishy McDonk but Will Wonka will be tough to beat.

I was a bit disappointed about the lost, I really started believing that I could win this damn thing. Can you imagine the traffic for my blog if did win? Plus a chance to go one-on-one with Iggy? *Drool* I would’ve become a superstar!

While clearing my last few hundred hands at The Gaming Club, I realized that I love shorthanded poker. I stepped up to my usual limits for a few hours and I proceeded to pound the living crap out of the table . +60BB playing 5-10$ poker? That’s unheard of and obviously won’t last, but I can see why these games are so profitable. You make your money in LHE by cashing in on your opponent’s mistakes. All players see more flops in shorthanded poker, therefore, they make more mistakes. And the bad players at these games make so many freakin’ terrible mistakes that they’re basically tripping over themselves to hand you over their money. Case in point:

I pick up Jd-10d in the big blind when the biggest whale at the table raises preflop (No big surprise here, he’s been raising every hand he’s seen so far) The second biggest whale at the table calls from the small blind and I obviously call from the big blind. Flop comes 4-J-J. Nice. Now I just sit back and enjoy the ride. SB bets, I call, other whale raises, sb 3bets, I call, whale caps, all call. Turn is a 10, I now have the nuts. SB bets, I call, Whale raises, SB 3bets, I call, whale caps, etc. The river comes a blank. And just like that, all the action dies. The small blind checks, I bet, they both call and I pick up the monstrous pot (It was over 30BB) . What did they have? SB J-6, which kinda sucks for him. The other whale had AK. This is a 5/10 $ table people. 5 FUCKING 10!?!!

I can also see the other side of coin though. On a bad day, the brutal beats by these godawful players add up REAL quick at these short tables and the losses can become quite astronomical. I’ll keep playing them for a while to see where that takes me.

With all bonuses and gifts out the way, I can now focus on playing my regular games. Tonight, I will start piling up the Full Tilt tokens. I wanna go to the WSOP dammit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home