Monday, April 24, 2006

Feeling better, playing better?

Still not feeling 100%, but definitely getting there. The cough is pretty much gone. My nose is still stuffed a little bit but compared to where I was two days ago, I’ll take it.

For some crazy reason, I didn’t really feel the urge to play poker lately. I sat down for something like 45 minutes yesterday, but I was pretty much going through the motions and not playing anywhere near my best. I guess I’m in some sort of Poker funk, I’ll get out, of that I’m not too worried, I just need to find something to aim for. A goal maybe?

Tonight is the DADI, which should be nice. If there’s one thing I can be proud of lately, it has to be my tournament play. I think the biggest mistake most people make in tournaments is going broke early trying to accumulate chips. For one, there’s a lot of luck AND skill involved in pulling that off, and two, few people know how to really play the big stack. There’s nothing sadder than watching a player who quadrupled his stack in the first level be blinded down to average-size by not getting involved enough.

I still say the patient solid strategy is better at these small stakes tournaments. Don’t risk your stack making stupid moves in the first two level for no apparent reasons. Wait for your prime hands and let the ‘wanna be pros’ knock themselves out making moves at the pot by open-raising from MP with 3-4o when the blinds are 25-50. As the blinds rise, your aggression and your boldness level have to follow suit. Be observant of the table. If a player is always raising when all fold to him, re-raise his ass when it comes up to you with any semi-decent holding. He’ll throw his hand away, trust me. You just need the courage to pull that trigger. It’s these little things that end up making a big difference in the end.

I hope I can get a good vibe going early in the tournament. Success in tournaments is often related to circumstances as much as your play. Ever get that feeling that you’re gonna do well right from the start? That’s what I’m hoping for tonight when I sit down in front of the laptop. Besides, I really think I’m due.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home