Monday, July 24, 2006

It's not them, it's me

The BloggedPods event was pretty much a non-factor. I busted out early when my double belly buster + flush draw didn't connect and I lost to a player holding top pair second kicker. I wanted some chips early so I gambled on a 15 out draw that unfortunately didn't come through. It happens.

I won't complain about calling off your whole stack early in a tournament with TPSK since this is typical of these low buy-in tournaments: Donks playing two card Poker.

Who's the real fish here?

Here I am, willingly shoving all my chips on a come hand against an unknown opponent in a low buy-in tournament. What exactly am I hoping for here? For all I know, this guy could be one of those players who have never heard of the fold button before. Again, what am I hoping for here?

What sets a great Poker player apart from an average one is his ability to adapt to his surroundings. If he's up against loose aggressive maniacs, he'll TAG his ass straight up. If he's playing against Weak-Tight Donks, he'll raise and re-raise every other hand. AND, if he's playing against level 1 weaklings, he won't jam his whole stack on come hands on the first level of a tournament.

Notice I didn't mention being a favorite when the chips went in? That’s beside the point. I should never have been in that situation to begin with. By putting all the chips in, I’m pretty much denying myself an opportunity of outplaying the Donk and luck ends up settling the issue.

Too much time is spent blaming the play of weaker players for the inadequacies in our own play. If you really believe that your play is superior to theirs, let your skills do the talking and pick up all their chips. For any time you let a weaker player get the best of you, the problem is not him, it's you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home