Friday, June 02, 2006

Home game with the Donks

I barely squeezed in a few hours at the virtual tables last night. Mostly positive, I’m now back in the black on Full Tilit by 4$. Yay! It’s a start.

Nope, the crux of my evening was spent donking it off with some friends in a home game. Think of it as the Mookie Uber-lite. Most of these guys don’t really care about Poker, they play for fun, but getting better or worst doesn’t really matter to them. I can definitely see some improvements in all of them, but that’s not really important.

With that said, last night’s donkfest reached incredible levels of absurdity. The format is pretty simple; 5$ gets you 2000$ in chips, blinds start at 25/50 increasing every 15 minutes and unlimited rebuys during the first hour.

The rebuys are usually really for one guy. He actually knows more about the game than the others, but the guy simply can’t lay down a hand. He knows he’s beat, he says out loud that he knows that he’s beat yet he calls anyway. He re-bought twice last night. Funny thing is, yesterday, for some reason, everyone kept doing the absolutely worst possible plays to get themselves in awful situations and eventually getting themselves stacked.

For instance, unlimited rebuy guy raises it to 3x the blind from UTG, my brother flat calls and they see the flop heads-up. K-9-4 and the preflop raiser bets out, my brother reraises and other guy pushed. My brother calls. Pre-flop raiser shows AA my brother shows 10-10(??). My brother turned another ten though and stacked the guy.


By the end of the first hour we had reached an unprecedented 6 re-buys for a 5 player tournament!!

I pretty much stayed away from the nonsense and had built myself a nice stack by busting someone when I flopped top two pair to his TPTK. I picked up a few small pots here and there but that was pretty much it. Some luck box, who had stacked 4 players with ridiculous suckouts and re-sucks, was bullying the table by catching or hitting everything in sight. It was sick. I actually ended up going out first after the re-buy period when said Luck box raised from the button and I pushed with AQ from the small blind. Turns out he had KK. I flop two aces (!) but he turns a K to send my arse to the rail.

Poker play will be sparse this weekend since I’m leaving for Montreal tomorrow to attend the International Festival of Beer. This will be my third straight year of attending and I’m pretty stocked about the whole thing. I’ll raise a glass to you bloggers when I’m out there.

Later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home