Wednesday, November 29, 2006

1 large on the flip side

I knew that my last week plowing through the Full Tilt reload bonus was dreadful, I simply did not know how rough it had been. I checked out my stats for the past few days in Poker Tracker and the numbers were disturbing to say the least: Roughly 800$ lost through 1200 hands (or 135 BB at 3/6 6 max). Shit, that much?

Shitty but this time, I’m taking it all in.

As bad as my first serious downswing was in march (Lost roughly 50% of my bankroll playing games that were above me in more ways than one) my reaction to it was even worst. Instead of manning up and rolling with the punches, I whined and cried like a little girl on this blog and pretty much stopped playing in fear of going broke. Problem is, if you’re not playing, you’re not gonna win it back. As a result, my bankroll stayed stagnant, my game regressed and I set myself backwards in my personal Poker adventure. I am just now, making up for the time and the money that was lost back then. I basically threw away 6 months of this calendar year thanks to my cowardice.

My approach, this time, is completely different. Instead of hiding, I am CRAVING to sit my ass back down at the tables and sling some fucking chips. I simply don’t care if I lose my ENTIRE BANKROLL AS LONG AS I AM PLAYING WELL. Reviewing hands in this downswing has revealed that I’ve been overplaying my over cards way too much. While variance has made me miss 1243425345 flops in a row with AK, I shouldn’t be calling down all the way to showdown with ‘em like a brainless newb for shit and giggles. That’s simply bad play. I also need to do a better job of knowing when to quit. My crack head tendencies simply have to go. I simply can’t believe how often I’ll play and leave when I realize It’s not my day only to come back a few hours later and lose some more. Seriously, WTF?

I am better than this. I am bigger than this. And if I ever want to become someone in this Poker thing, I’ll have to handle taking the losses like a man, stick with it and come out of this shit smelling like roses.

Either that, or I’m simply a degenerate gambler that’s fallen off the deep end and for whom all hope is lost. Either way works for me.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Klopzi said...

l'artiste -

Just in case you missed my reply to the comment you left on my site: thanks very much for that link!

Hot damn, there's a lot of reading to get through at the 6 max site.

I'll have to absorb it in bits and pieces: there's too much to go through in one day.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

By the way, I also find that when I'm on a downswing, I also overplay my overcards.

Just remember that's it's ok if the flop misses you and you need to fold.

And don't forget to discount those outs!

Other than that, just sit back down and get your money back.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger L'artiste said...

Thanks for stopping. Take your time, study thoroughly and hop on the tables when you’re ready. I climbed down to ½$ to get caught up on the basics and I quickly found my way to the higher levels. The play is pretty much the same all around. I even dabbled at 5-10$ and it’s still not that different. Be patient and disciplined and you’ll be fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home